Dolphins overdose after rave at Swiss zoo
Two dolphins have died after overdosing on a heroin substitute during a techno rave at a Swiss zoo. NME reports that the animals, named Shadow and Chelmers, likely died after inadvertantly ingesting Buprenorphine at the event held last November at Connyland Zoo in Lipperswil, Switzerland.
It is thought that the drug was fed to them by party goers. Initially authorities believed that pulsing music or antibiotics given to the dolphins by zookeepers played a part in their deaths but a toxicology report leaked to the Swiss media this week has shown otherwise.
The dolphins died five days apart. Shadow was found dead after the rave and Chelmers died later "shaking and foaming at the mouth." Zookeeper Nadja Gasser characterized the animals' final moments as "drawn out and painful."
"It was horrendous," she said. "I have not been able to sleep since."
More music news: